I hope to release the next version of Tellico as version 1.0. The added capabilities in the next major version will include:
- Collection Reports
- Collection reports are simply HTML templates, but I added a dialog for viewing them and switching between different reports. That's working right now, and I'm just struggling a bit to implement saving, as well as printing.
- I have a lending dialog, and support for tracking those loans. The standard KDE addressbook is used to populate the list of potential borrowers, and an option is available to add the due date to the standard calendar in KOrganizer. I have all that working, and I'm just tweaking the UI a bit.
- Reading UNIMARC
- Several users have asked that Tellico support reading UNIMARC records in the z39.50 importer. The USEMARCON library is the obvious choice for doing the conversion, and I'm evaluating whether to include an internal copy or add an optional dependency on its installation. Plus, I need to read the license and make sure that's allowed. I believe it's released under a slightly modified GPL, but that's just a quick reading.
- Saved Filters
- I've also got saved filters working, which is essential the same as implemented in KMail, JuK, etc. The filter criteria are saved, and the group dynamically updates as entries are added or modified. The UI still needs some work though.
- DCOP Interface
- Another thing that gets requested often is some sort of DCOP interface for Tellico. I've added DCOP calls for importing all the different file formats, such as bibtex and MODS. I'll try to get around to adding export functions, too.
- Optimization and Valgrind
- I've started profiling some of the code with valgrind. I'm still figuring out exactly how to do that, but I've made some optimizations in the loading process and memory management. Tellico will still be a memory hog since I made the decision when I started to load the entire collection into memory (short-sighted, yes), but maybe it won't suck so much.
- As always, documentation comes last. I hope to finish up some more sections of the help files. I also want to write a quick example for how to add a new XSL template to the entry viewer, just to make it a bit clearer.
That will complete my desired feature set for version 1.0. oF course, I'll have several pre-releases, I imagine. For later version, perhaps I'll get around to learning SQL and move to SQLite or something similar and make Tellico use a real relational database. For now, it's getting close to what I started out to create: a simple-to-use, personal library and collection manager application.